By Cecelia Davis, Kid Editor-in-Chief, age 11
I enjoy music because you can express your feelings through notes, chords, and words. Even if you can’t play an instrument, music is fun because you can use your voice and use a beat to express emotions through music. If you want to have fun with music, too, try any of these five fun music ideas.
- Learn how to play an instrument! If you don’t have enough money to buy an instrument or don’t already have an instrument in the house, make maracas with beans or rice and Easter eggs by putting beans or rice in the Easter egg and taping it shut, or use old cereal boxes as drums and pens or pencils as drumsticks. Maybe your siblings or parents will be interested in playing instruments, too, and you can start a band!
- Write your own song. Your song doesn’t have to rhyme. It doesn’t have to make sense to other people as long as your song makes sense to you and expresses your feelings. And songwriting doesn’t necessarily just involve lyrics. Adding notes or a rhythm to your song can make it sound super great, too. In fact, some songs, called instrumental songs, are made up of only notes and rhythm, and not words.
- Listen to music. If you want to make music, the only way to learn how is to listen to music. Listen to all different types of music and all different songs. Sing along or play along with the songs that you’re listening to and memorize the lyrics. If you want to, dance while you’re listening. To get you started, here are a few of my favorite songs: “You Done Great”(https://lesfreresheureux.bandcamp.com/track/you-done-great), “Endless Possibility” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJjxKhjR9H4), and “We Are Wilderness Explorers” (https://lesfreresheureux.bandcamp.com/track/we-are-wilderness-explorers-1995).
- Have a dance party. Music is a major part of dancing, and while you’re dancing, try to pay attention to the way the music makes you feel, and move in the way that the music is making you feel. If you want to learn about a certain type of dance, like tap or ballet, that’s great, but you can also express yourself through any dance move you like.
- Finally, try improvising with music! Improvising just means “making it up as you go.” If you play an instrument, improvise with the notes, chords, and rhythm. If you don’t play an instrument, you can improvise with words, even if it’s not perfect. If you like the lyrics or note combinations that you make up while improvising, be sure to write them down so that you can play them later.
If you like these ideas, try them out so that you can have a fun experience with music. If writing songs or improvising doesn’t turn out perfect the first time, just keep persevering. Music is a great way to share emotion and feeling to others.